POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wikipath : Re: Wikipath Server Time
1 Oct 2024 03:18:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wikipath
From: Invisible
Date: 15 Aug 2008 08:23:32
Message: <48a57544@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:

> I'll grant you, it is an interesting theoretical question ... But how
> exactly do you get a result from the above quoted statement, and what
> would that result look like?

That's exactly it. It's an interesting theoretical result. It has no
"practical" value of any kind.

You *could* write a computer program that "runs" Iota calculus programs.
(In fact, I did this a while back. Maybe I'll resurrect it just for fun.
Or... self-harming?)

Interpretting the answer is tricky though. The Iota calculus is an
untyped language, so if you don't know what type of value a program is
supposed to produce, there's no way to know how to decode it. It's a bit
like the way the bit sequence "1111" might mean "15" or "-1", depending
on whether it's supposed to be signed or unsigned binary.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/