POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : v3.7 example scenes : Re: Need disc space Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:17:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need disc space
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 14 Aug 2008 21:25:53
Message: <48a4db21$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback wrote:
> "Sabrina Kilian" <"ykgp at vtSPAM.edu"> wrote in message
>> The biggest issue I've seen so far is the wood include and
>> objects/pawns.pov. The wood textures look completely different without the
>> assumed gamma statements, and pawns seems to have some graphical issue.
>> I'm thinking it might be coincident surfaces, but I've not looked at it
>> too close yet.
>
> hmmmm .... the only thing that slowed me down was that some of the images in
> advanced had different aspect ratio's (other than 4:3). The stuff in
> textures went by super fast once I got past my "Doh" moment using the file
> queue feature. The file queue feature was appealling to me because I wanted
> to have the renders go unattended. I inspected the headers and camera
> statements and found nothing unusual so I thought they looked like an ideal
> candidate for batch processing.
>
> I'm wondering if you had a particular file in mind that you were seeing the
> wood.inc problem, or should I just have a look at anything that sources
> wood.inc ..... mind you it's not that I don't believe you, I'm just curious
> and want to have a look. I'm going to slow things down abit until I hear
> back from Chris on disc space.
>
> Jim

Yeah, the file queue worked great for objects, I set it to run in both
3.6 and 3.7, turned on an MMO, and by the time the evening was over they
were both done. The portfolio requires rendering with an .ini unique to
each .pov file, and so eats up a bit more time as I'm not comfortable
with scripting windows to do it for me.

On to wood.inc: In the display window while it's running and rendering,
the images looked a lot different for the same file. Brighter or darker,
the colors seemed more saturated. Checking the image after it's been
saved to disk, I don't see the huge difference any longer.

I looked at t_woods6.png, it looks like it has some minor color
differences in the dark area, but that could just be me. I'll check it
in Gimp and difference the two images to see if it's just where I have
the pictures on the screen.