POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wikipath : Re: Wikipath Server Time
1 Oct 2024 00:04:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wikipath
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Aug 2008 08:06:26
Message: <48a41fc2$1@news.povray.org>
>> In other words, the Iota calculus means you write whole programs that
>> just consist of X's and brackets. That's all! Basically, the shape of
>> the parse tree is the program! o_O

>>   X(X(XX)X(X)X(XXX)X(X)X(X(XX)))X(X(X))))X(X)...

> I think this is the invention of a sick mind. My brain hurts.
>
> Why would someone want to do this? (other than the obvious self-abuse?)

To prove it can be done.

It's an interesting theoretical question: "How simple can a programming
language be before it stops working?"

The answer - apparently - is "extremely simple".

As I said, as the language gets simpler, all the programs become more
complex. Until, eventually, you arrive at the Iota calculus, the
simplest programming language that can exist. And its programs are
FREAKIN CRAZY!

I just wish there was some way to "run" these programs to prove that
they do actually work, and it's not just line noise. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/