POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : no class : Re: no class Server Time
1 Aug 2024 20:11:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: no class
From: andrel
Date: 6 Sep 2008 06:38:34
Message: <48C25DF0.1060909@hotmail.com>
On 06-Sep-08 3:54, Shay wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>
>> I get an idea, implement a user interface to adjust a group of
>> splines. Add the symmetry constraints. Write an export to blender,
>> compose a partial scene. Export to POV to see if it works. Get them
>> printed. Create molds and some other things to make ceramic copies.
>> Find out that they too easily fall over because I forgot to check
>> where the center of gravity is :( . Redo in a somewhat larger size
>> adding a few extra challenges.
>
> Whoa! And here I am belly-aching that I spend so much time sitting on my
> butt staring at vim! A lot of work, but your results are one of a kind.

I think you might actually spend more time on your product. The
similarity is in it that I also do get accused of overkill sometimes.

>>> I remember seeing these in p.o-t, but don't remember an explanation.
>>> Very cool. My mind is flooding with possibilities.
>>
>> Machine reads the STL format, basically yet another triangle format,
>> so that could be just your thing.
>
> Here's what I'm thinking: print a small sub-section of this
> (http://tinyurl.com/5s5nbm) earlier model, make a mold around the print,
> pour resin or ceramic (I've got a kiln), and glue the many pieces
> together into a complete sculpture. What do you think?

Difficult, but doable. You'd have to position the cuts that have to be
glued together very precise. Either where you just won't see them in the
finished model, or where you have enough access to polish the seams. The
mold also probably has to consist of several parts, because you have to
take the thing apart to get your piece of of it. That'll be a whole new
level of planning. I think the mold for this latest model would be more
easy. Ceramics tends to deform when drying. This building block is more
or less planar, so you can let it dry between planks to keep it in
shape. Resin has the advantage that it does not deform and that rubber
molds may be used. Ceramic does deform when drying out, but you can glue
it with clay before firing it, so you can have a seamless result.

All in all, I think that whatever you do it'll be a lot of fun and will
take more than a lot of time to get it right. Perhaps starting with
something that you design with physical construction in mind would be my
advice. Don't worry, even that'll go wrong the first few times if you
are lucky.