POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : no class : Re: no class Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:24:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: no class
From: andrel
Date: 5 Sep 2008 16:46:20
Message: <48C19AE0.5000603@hotmail.com>
On 04-Sep-08 23:39, Shay wrote:
> The second meaning required the extra work. All of my images are hand-coded,
> but this one was done without the use of Python. No Python = no class(es).
> One last time with pure POV sdl.

I doubt that. ;)

> Wanted to show what could be done just by opening up the POV editor[1] and
> typing. Got as crazy as implementing divide-and-conquer delaunay triangulation
> in POV sdl.

Perfectly normal behaviour I would say (at least for that Shay that I
know from p.b.i)

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Very cool
>
> Thank you.
>
>>> This is my last image. It's been real.
>>
>> What????  I have been missing seeing your images up here lately - was
>> wondering if we'd see more of your magic.  :-)
>
> If only it were magic. This was months of work, and the reaction to all
> who have heard that has been "what took so long?" There's a joy in
> discovering the just-right look for a particularly challenging type of
> corner, but that is a *very* expensive high, and no one can tell the
> difference in the finished image - especially when POV goofs up my
> triangles.
>
> I'm having dinner later this month with a successful professional artist
> and former gallery director[1] to discover the value of a wooden
> sculpture of this model. My family have a laser engraver capable of
> cutting out the dozens of necessary pieces. IF that works out, I may
> design more.

Funny, when I saw this I immediately started wondering if this was one
piece or a couple of pieces. And if the latter, if you could physically
separate them. BTW I do have access to a 3D printer in ABS plastic (see
e.g. last item on
http://members.chello.nl/a.c.linnenbank/visitekaart/en/ceramics.html).
Possibly other materials as well if I really want to, but that would
cost money. Can that laser engraver thing do rounded edges? If not you
could employ a 5 axis milling machine or something like that.
Knowing you, I guess you want total control of what happens with your
designs, but if you think some rapid prototyping could help, drop me a line.

 > I could have designed this as a wooden piece in 1/5 the time.

Only if they are separable but not too loose. That is a fine line. OTOH
somehow I think you have already checked that.

Just in case that was not clear yet: I really do like your work and
approach.

Aside: in my ceramics class nearly all seem to think that things should
not be perfect because otherwise you might just as well buy them in a
shop. I am really glad that at least somewhere on this planet there is
one other person thinks that that is total nonsense. Keep up the good
work and don't slow down. Sorry, I mean: don't speed up.

>  -Shay
>
> [1]michelleywilliams (dot com)
hmm slightly different style.