POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP Bistro [170 Kb] : Re: WIP Bistro [170 Kb] Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:27:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP Bistro [170 Kb]
From: Shay
Date: 2 Sep 2008 18:48:15
Message: <48BDC235.80107@none.none>
Jim Charter wrote:
> To automate a more realistic mosaic, where the pieces loosely follow
> contours, would be an interesting accomplishment, but not within my
> reach I am afraid.

I know how I would do it, but it wouldn't be worth it. It would still
look fake. It takes a real-life artist to accomplish something this:
http://www.lilianbroca.com/index.php/mosaics-gallery.php

Your tables look like the Ikea version, which suits a modest Bistro like
this one. The whole scene reminds me of the kind of place I used to see
around Austin: a pizza kitchen with tables left over from when it was a
coffee house and a lucky cat on the counter left over from when it was a
pho shop. These places all seem to have been taken over by corporate
restaurants.

Houston family-owned restaurants are more resistant to corporate
take-over, but Houston doesn't have beautiful scenery or historic
architecture. There is something Romantic about eating a plate of
over-priced, under-portioned, glorified junk-food in a beautiful
setting, at least when you're immature and idealistic. The famous Oasis
(Garth Brooks slipped on down to it) in Austin was nothing more than a
burger joint with a view.

  -Shay