POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another SSS technique (28k jpg) : Another SSS technique (28k jpg) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:19:07 EDT (-0400)
  Another SSS technique (28k jpg)
From: stbenge
Date: 7 Aug 2008 23:40:11
Message: <489bc01b@news.povray.org>
Hello everybody,

Once again, I'm trying my hand at generating a better subsurface
scattering technique. "Better" in this case means faster render times
and smoother results.

The attached image parsed in 5 seconds and rendered in 11 seconds, for a
total of 16 seconds render time! It was rendered with four cores, but
the parsing used only one. (it would be nice if POV used more than one
core for parsing)

For this image the effect was applied to the pigment, and an ambient
value was applied to the finish.

The object is a mesh created in LightWave. I used "povlogo.ttf" as a base.

The SSS can use any object type you can trace() a ray at. Parse times
can get pretty high, and odd artifacts sometimes occur. Flat-sided
objects look better than rounded ones. Higher samples mean less "light"
penetration, and longer parse/render times. (this is opposite from other
SSS techs I've tried in the past)

This technique is based on a proximity (edge-finding) pattern I've been
developing. If you really want, I can go into the gory details about how
it works, but I might have a hard time explaining it...

Questions and/or comments are always welcome~

Sam

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'ssstest0_16.jpg' (27 KB)