POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Energy drink : Re: Energy drink Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:20:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Energy drink
From: Larp
Date: 7 Aug 2008 14:21:42
Message: <489b3d35@news.povray.org>
Alain wrote:

> How are the holes made?
> Transparent parts in the image_map, or actual holes made
> with a diference? With the diference, you can try using a
> merge of all the holes, it could be somewhat faster.

Holes are "real holes": rotated cylinders grouped in an
union and then differenced with a can.

Should the merge be faster than the union? At least
Documentation says opposite:

"Note: that in general merge is slower rendering than union
when used with non transparent objects."
(http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/307/)

Well, I gave merge a try and got rendering time 1:07:39 (no
focal blur) which was even a bit more than with then
previous render of original scene with no fb (about 1 h 5
min. But I have to confess that tonight I surfed bit in the
web while rendering, which could maybe alone explain
difference of three minutes...

Probably the size of the picture I used in the etiquette --
5654x2724px -- is much more than needed when rendering
scene at this size. I made the picture that big to make
closeups with good quality possible. Maybe that explains
significant part of the long render time?

   Larp