POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Monday abstract... : Re: Monday abstract... Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:22:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Monday abstract...
From: Alain
Date: 7 Aug 2008 10:44:40
Message: <489b0a58$1@news.povray.org>
Paolo Gibellini nous illumina en ce 2008-08-04 10:18 -->

> A question:
> - Using a glass material and a normal, is there a way to affect the
> shadows? (i.e. I want to see the effects of the normal in the shadow)
> Suggestion are welcome...
> ;-)
> Paolo

Absolutely. Use photons.
Add something like:
global_settings{photons{spacing 0.1}}
or
global_settings{photons{count 1000000}}
Adjust spacing or count as needed. Don't use spacing AND count.
There are other parameters, look in the documentation for photons.

Add this to your transparent objects:
photons{target refraction on}

If you also want to have reflection:
photons{target refraction on reflection on}

If you have an area_light and want that to be taken into acount, then add this
to your light's definition, usualy after the area_light specification:
photons{area_light}

By default, all light_source have photons turned on for both reflection and
refraction whenever you enable the photons feature.

Don't forget to set an ior to your glass.
Typical ior for glass is around 1.5, water's is around 1.3~1.38, diamond is 2.5
and the largest you can find for (natural) transparent substances.

--
Alain
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason.