POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : v3.7 example scenes : Re: v3.7 final proposal? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:23:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: v3.7 final proposal?
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 7 Aug 2008 06:08:41
Message: <489ac9a9@news.povray.org>
"Chris Cason" <del### [at] deletethistoopovrayorg> wrote in
message news:489a8737$1@news.povray.org...
> Jim Holsenback wrote:
>> advanced/grenadine as a test case I noticed a difference in the preview
>> window image (to dark) and the final png image file (to light). This led
>> me
>
> Please be aware that the PNG output images have the inverse gamma
> written into the file header and will appear differently between
> viewers that do and don't support using this value.

yes .... i was using GIMP

>> I'm going to post the image over in the images group. One last thing
>> about
>> image quality. The rim of the glass had jagged edges until I used +a0.1
>> +r4 ... we DO want to resolve quality issues like that don't we?
>
> I suspect so, if it doesn't involve too much work.
>
>> #if (version < 3.6)
>
> Should that be < 3.6 or < 3.7 ?

i defer to you .... i'll reread the doc and see if i can figure out what led
me to believe that the default behavior for gamma correction has been around
since 3.6.1

>> the topic of includes, I've heard no reply on my proposal to change the
>> textures in glass_old.inc to materials, and remove the I_Glass warning in
>> glass.inc. The above scene file frag calls glass.inc so a minor mod to
>> the
>> scene file was in order. The scene file rendered fine. I don't want to do
>> this because silence implies agreement. Someone yea or nay this change
>> please!
>
> I haven't read it in detail (during weekdays I don't get a lot of
> time) but as long as it doesn't break any existing third-party scenes
> I'm OK with the change.

these scene files have glass.inc but MAY not call glass_old textures. i'll
take ownership for making those changes.

./advanced/desk.pov
./advanced/grenadine.pov
./advanced/wineglass.pov
./advanced/woodbox.pov
./advanced/blocks/stackertransp.pov
./advanced/fish13/fish13.pov
./animations/boing/glsbng.pov
./incdemo/glasses/glass.pov
./incdemo/glasses/samp_demo.pov
./interior/ballbox1.pov
./interior/iortest.pov
./interior/magglass.pov
./lights/glassthing.pov
./lights/phot_met_glass.pov

Stephen I owe you two files as you're already working on the incdemo files.
I'm going to speak up for the advanced/animations group of files. I will
deal with the remaining files when someone speaks up for the groups that
they are in. I will also post the revised glass/glass_old.inc files so both
of you  (Stephen/Sabrina) can pick those up. Zip format OK? Give me a couple
of days to get this done as I'm juggling several things (feast or famine)
right now.

Jim