POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : v3.7 example scenes : Re: v3.7 example scenes Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:27:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: v3.7 example scenes
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 2 Aug 2008 13:10:06
Message: <489494ee@news.povray.org>
"Chris Cason" <del### [at] deletethistoopovrayorg> wrote in
message news:48948066@news.povray.org...
>> Does the pov source file inherent the version from a sourced
>> include?
>
> I think you'll find that the includes set it back to the old value at the
> end (please check to make sure).

ok ... i'll look to make sure.

>> Maybe we need to up version the includes as well.
>
> There's probably no harm in doing so, and might even be a good idea
> overall.

good ... i'll have a look and see what's involved before I pull the trigger
and do it.

>> /* The following has been obsoleted due to the way gamma correction is
>> now
>> being handled.
>> Please refer to the release notes for additional information. Any version
>> references should
>> be considered as a minimum requirement to render this scene. */
>>
>> //#version 3.5;
>>
>> global_settings {
>>  //assumed_gamma 1
>> }
>
> In the above example I'd rather have the assumed_gamma removed, along with
> the #version; thus the comment isn't necessary.

i threw that in just to see if i could get any outside ideas .....

> OTOH if there is no #version at all, and the scene doesn't render "right"
> (i.e. gamma turns out wrong) when rendered in version 3.6 due to the
> removal of the assumed_gamma, then we probably ought to place a #version
> 3.7 in the scene.

another overlooked possibility ..... thanks!

> if you wanted to get fancy, you could leave the #version out and put a #if
> around the assumed_gamma statement, where you check the version and only
> apply the assumed_gamma for version 3.6 and earlier.

this is way more elegant and easy enough to do.

Cheers