POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : v3.7 example scenes : Re: v3.7 example scenes Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:19:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: v3.7 example scenes
From: Chris Cason
Date: 2 Aug 2008 11:42:30
Message: <48948066@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback wrote:
> ok that answers size .... what about format? png?

Yes, I think so: it's lossless and easy to convert from that to another
format if it's needed.

> the version reference removed, so that by default gamma correction is on

> Does the pov source file inherent the version from a sourced
> include?

I think you'll find that the includes set it back to the old value at the
end (please check to make sure).

> Maybe we need to up version the includes as well.

There's probably no harm in doing so, and might even be a good idea overall.

> /* The following has been obsoleted due to the way gamma correction is now
> being handled.
> Please refer to the release notes for additional information. Any version
> references should
> be considered as a minimum requirement to render this scene. */
>
> //#version 3.5;
>
> global_settings {
>  //assumed_gamma 1
> }

In the above example I'd rather have the assumed_gamma removed, along with
the #version; thus the comment isn't necessary.

OTOH if there is no #version at all, and the scene doesn't render "right"
(i.e. gamma turns out wrong) when rendered in version 3.6 due to the
removal of the assumed_gamma, then we probably ought to place a #version
3.7 in the scene.

if you wanted to get fancy, you could leave the #version out and put a #if
around the assumed_gamma statement, where you check the version and only
apply the assumed_gamma for version 3.6 and earlier.

regards,

-- Chris