POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : v3.7 example scenes : Re: v3.7 example scenes Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:20:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: v3.7 example scenes
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 31 Jul 2008 05:39:26
Message: <4891884e@news.povray.org>
"StephenS" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.4890749415676239b586e7830@news.povray.org...
> My current understanding is:
> ~Stage one: Identify included content that no longer produces the same
> result in
> 3.7 as the version it was made for. Update files to reflect; removal of
> #version
> if possible, and removal of version 3.5/3.6 in comments.
> ~Stage two: Update/remove/new content and the way it's presented to the
> end
> user.
> Stage one is the level I signed up for, Stage two is interesting but only
> as an
> observer.
> If you could group the files into managable chunks, I'll start reporting
> back my
> findings;)

Last evening I reviewed about two dozen files from various locations.
Without fail assumed_gamma was the prevailing issue. Several files had
version 3.1 brands. There was one or two files that had noticeable blocks of
code commented out. I also noticed that some but not all source files had
ini files. I think this a great feature that we might use in the process of
producing the final quality images for the distribution. Stephens comments
and one other limiting factor for me (dial-up) leads me to believe that
there may be a better way to approach this project. The whole thing depends
on Chris having a machine that has enough free cycles to crank out the final
product, so I will be brief.

Divide the source files into four chunks. Three for the review team, one
left over for whoever gets done first. While that's going on there needs to
be a decision made about final image quality, size, and format. Every source
final gets an ini file with the agreed upon render options. See if we might
be able to leverage off what Christoph did with the MegaPov examples. The
testing on our end will just involve branding a version if necessary, making
sure any parser warnings are resolved, and seeing that the image does indeed
render. No worries about quality and size as the images will just be
discarded. Upload the cleaned up source and ini files, and batch them up for
processing.

Cheers
Jim