POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : iron pyrite (48k jpg) : Re: iron pyrite (48k jpg) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:24:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iron pyrite (48k jpg)
From: stbenge
Date: 27 Jul 2008 16:33:48
Message: <488cdbac@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> That's very close to a textbook pyrite, Sam. Congratulations.

Thank you, Thomas :)

> The only (small) thing that I would dare to say is that maybe the striations
> appear a bit too strong in some places? Could be the effect of lighting.

There are geometrical striations and striations which are surface
normals... Which do you mean, do you know? But you're right. I'm leaning
towards fixing them both, and re-rendering the whole thing now that I
have the technique down. What I'd *really* like to achieve is that
accumulative look crystal faces often have... it's kind of like a
cellular automation where the values have been divided.... I could try
something in SDL, but I hate to make such a large detour if it doesn't,
ahem, pan out.

Photons would be nice... But you can't render photons without a visible
photon target with the new version of POV-Ray. The compositing technique
relies on having the pyrite cluster invisible at some point. Maybe I can
render the photons in 3.6... just rambling here :)

Also, I see some triangles showing here and there. Gotta fix all the
details, and try to pass it off as a photo to a mineral-hunting friend
of mine >:)

Sam