POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : iron pyrite (48k jpg) : iron pyrite (48k jpg) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:19:47 EDT (-0400)
  iron pyrite (48k jpg)
From: stbenge
Date: 26 Jul 2008 22:12:55
Message: <488bd9a7@news.povray.org>
Hi everyone,

It's a rendering of iron sulfide, also known as Fool's Gold around these
parts...

The pyrite was modeled in LightWave. I used angle values from
KrystalShaper, so what you see here is a fairly accurate representation
(within two decimal places, anyway).

The whole thing was rendered in five passes on 3-4 cores, taking about
13 minutes altogether. It would have been much longer if I hadn't used
compositing techniques. Once again, I used Rune's illusion.inc to
composite the images. It was a learning experience putting it all
together... quite a puzzle in fact.

The hardest part, however, was trying to convert the original file from
LightWave format to something POV could read, while still preserving the
UV maps. In the end, I had to load the lw file into Blender, join the
meshes, export as lw format again, load into PoseRay and save as an .inc
file.

The final image was cropped and bordered in Gimp.

There are some aliasing artifacts present on some of the striations. I
don't know what causes them, but it's worth looking into.

Questions and comments are always appreciated~

Sam

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'pyrite_cluster.jpg' (48 KB)