POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : PoVEarth, day #6 - first obstacle! : PoVEarth, day #6 - first obstacle! Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:24:34 EDT (-0400)
  PoVEarth, day #6 - first obstacle!
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 22 Jul 2008 18:31:18
Message: <48865fb6@news.povray.org>
High!

As announced yesterday, I started experimenting with various radiosity
and/or finish settings to get rid of the unrealistically dark surfaces
inside the buildings... I'm quite aware that, on a bright sunny day, the
outside environment is orders of magnitude brighter than rooms
indirectly lit - but, on the other hand, the human eye's perception of
brightness levels is logarithmic rather than linear, i. e. indoor scenes
appear substantially brighter than they actually are.

But obviously PoV-Ray does not take this into account when rendering
such indoor scenes... or is there a way to calibrate PoV-Ray's lighting
system to match the human perception more closely?

I tried three combinations of radiosity brightness and diffuse values of
the used texture, attached here (currently, beside the sand-coloured
ground texture, only a simple "concrete" texture is used), but none of
them satisfied me. What concerns me most is the stark contrast between
the floor (lit by the blue sky) and the walls (lit only by the floor).

Is it possible to get more balanced (and, overall, higher) brightness
levels with different radiosity values - or do I have to used some
shadowless fill light(s)?

See you on www.khyberspace.de!

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download '.jpg' (18 KB) Download '.jpg' (21 KB) Download '.jpg' (22 KB)

Preview of image '.jpg'
.jpg

Preview of image '.jpg'
.jpg