POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rings : Re: Rings Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:25:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rings
From: stbenge
Date: 21 Jul 2008 16:26:48
Message: <4884f108$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> Added a fill light, switched to area lights, and turned dispersion on.

I like the composition and idea behind this image. You are doing well so
far.

Care to receive a few suggestions?

First off, since the primary light makes a heart shape on the pages, why
not give that light a pinkish/peachy color? A warm color for the fill
light would also be nice.

As Alain mentioned, the rings could look more reflective. Sometimes for
metal surfaces, I bump the brilliance all the way up to 4, and knock the
diffuse down to 0.25. I make the reflection{} and specular attributes
fully metallic (for non-pure colors). It looks like you already have a
good environment for reflective materials. You can pull more of it in by
making the gold surfaces a little rough. Since you are using focal blur,
you can probably get away with blurring the reflections with a surface
normal:

bumps 0.125 scale 0.0001

Most gold surfaces do not have perfectly specular reflection.

Well, that's all. I hope I haven't offended you with my suggestions...

Sam