POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : City scene : Re: City scene Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:26:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: City scene
From: scott
Date: 18 Jul 2008 06:36:45
Message: <4880723d$1@news.povray.org>
> I never have played the first installment, nor have I even seen it for
> that
> matter. I wonder if it can be downloaded freely from Rockstar, like GTA2?
> It's
> a big file, no doubt.

Yes, you can download GTA in full from their website too.

> Well, it worked excellently.

There's a few bits missing from the POV exporter, like correctly handling
the side textures when the roof tile is tilted - it was just too tricky and
the POV file was already taking some minutes to parse.

> What was the project for, if you don't mind my
> asking? Will you be treating us be a GTA:SA shot sometime? :)

I was just messing about really, seeing if I could make a true 3D version of
the original GTA.  But the problem is a lot of the objects you see in the
original are only 2D billboards, so I would need to make a lot of 3D content
myself.  I saw some people got the graphics out of the later GTA versions,
so I definitely think it would be possible.  But I think there would be a
lot more work with converting the mesh data etc.