POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Painted Desert - final [~215kB] : Re: The Painted Desert - final [~215kB] Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:22:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Painted Desert - final [~215kB]
From: Jim Charter
Date: 16 Jul 2008 18:13:12
Message: <487e7278$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> This is the final version (for the time being).

It's an odd scene, Thomas, and is perhaps too easily dismissed based on
an initial response to the foreground.  The foreground does not easily
map to common experience.

So you take a step back and say to yourself, "Let us suppose that that
is the point?"  Now what do we have?  We have a landscape whose terrain
is harsh and chaotic.  It suggests the random turbulence of the sea, but
its heaving disorder is combined with unnatural, squared-off geomtries.
  It is the worst of both worlds, neither organic, nor ordered.  Worse
still, the strange, striated coloring, has nothing to do with either the
unnatural cubes or the pitching topography.  Instead it records a third
and alien force involved.  We are hardly surprised when we find a
creature, formed of these same strange molecules, planted forlorn in the
foreground.

But then there is the sky.  The sky is the chaos we know. An
appreciation of the sublime celebrated in romantic brushstrokes for a
century or more. Yours is complex, a brilliant sheen of cloud vapor,
tufted and matted into hazy, imponderable layers, which mock the parched
surface.  Yet the sky is the familiar which makes us believe the
unfamiliar.  Or at least entertain its possibility, while an drifting
balloon travels beyond the such a desperate land.