POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : ZChars demo and antialiasing : Re: ZChars demo and antialiasing Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:26:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ZChars demo and antialiasing
From: Blue Herring
Date: 16 Jul 2008 08:19:38
Message: <487de75a$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> I don't think you'll see much focal blur while the camera is looking
> straight on at the surface.  Try moving the camera off to the side a
> bit, so that the handle is a different distance from the camera than the
> paper.  See attached image for what I mean.

Thanks!  However, I wasn't really after any blur per se, rather I was
trying to use it as an alternative to standard antialiasing.  With a
very small aperture and higher quality settings it can transcend the
standard antialiasing capabilities and produce very smooth images,
without any actual blurring effect.  Its also much slower of course.
For this image the settings used were:

  aperture 0.01
  focal_point 0
  blur_samples 512
  confidence 0.98
  variance 0

This would normally be enough to get rid of most aliasing.

You do make a good point however, adjusting to actually get some
blurring of the handle could be an alternative.

--
-The Mildly Infamous Blue Herring