POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The decline of mindpower : Re: The decline of mindpower Server Time
1 Oct 2024 07:19:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The decline of mindpower
From: scott
Date: 8 Jul 2008 03:52:50
Message: <48731cd2$1@news.povray.org>
> If the car is used (IIRC 6+months old), you'll get discount from the tax
> and it's not *that* much anymore (it still is much, just not *that* much).

I hear stories here all the time of Americans coming over, picking up their
shiny new BMW from the factory, driving it to some shipping agent and then
flying home again.  Apparently it means they can avoid some tax in the US
because it's not counted as a brand new car when it enters the country.

>> I assume you're allowed foreign registered cars there for a certain
>> amount of time, it's 6 months here I think.  You could just replace your
>> car in Germany every 6 months, although I'm sure they thought of that
>> already and made it illegal.
>
> Nnnope, a Finnish person ain't allowed to drive foreign-registered car in
> Finland.

Oh wow.

> It wasn't so long ago when the news had a great story about some Estonian
> guy with a Finnish wife/gf - she moved his Porsche for 10m oslt and
> Finland started to demand them to pay cartax (that 96%) of that Porsche.

Hehe, that really is strict then.  But I guess if you have to enforce that
96% tax, you can't afford to leave open any loopholes.