POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The decline of mindpower : Re: The decline of mindpower Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:19:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The decline of mindpower
From: Jim Charter
Date: 6 Jul 2008 10:51:34
Message: <4870dbf6$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:
>
>>Every week I face classrooms of people who often are turning to cab
>>driving as a refuge of last resort.  When they find that once again they
>>have to crack open books and face rote-learning challenges some are
>>openly discouraged and humiliated, others react with extreme hostility
>>and defensiveness.
>

>   What is it with the western culture that makes studying and intellectuality
> a good thing and a shame, all at the same time?

Two replies.

First, the particular point I was trying to make was that some people
really don't have the 'lights' for it, or possibly, have the ability but
never acquired the skills. So the situation is very embarrassing for
them.  For instance, I preach writing things by rote to help memorize
them.  Suppose writing is an excruitiating and nearly impossible task?

On a different tack, there may some circumstances and people where it
might be argued that study is really an escape from the world,...
guiltily so.  In other words at some point in ones development you have
to cope with the world beyond books.