POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Painted desert WIP [~260 kB] : Re: Painted desert WIP [~260 kB] Server Time
1 Aug 2024 20:10:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Painted desert WIP [~260 kB]
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 6 Jul 2008 10:30:11
Message: <4870d6f3$1@news.povray.org>
"Ive" <lil### [at] hotmailcom> schreef in bericht
> "Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote in message
>>>
>> There
>>> was even a POV-Ray patch provided (By David Buck:
>>> <4365fcf9$1@news.povray.org>) that corrected the epsilon value for those
>>> scenes combining very distant and very near objects.
>>

> Interesting  - I did not follow the NG at this time.
>
> The "epsilon-problem" appears not only in scenes with large/small scales
> but also - as in your "paintes desert" scene (great idea BTW) - effects
> the shadow ray calculation. And is of course not limited to poser figures
> or meshes imported by PoseRay.

Indeed. Everything is affected as we "discovered" in the Ringworld
experiments.

>> Now, my next hunch is that epsilon has been changed for version 3.7, can
>> anybody confirm this? I have not the beta installed at the moment,
>> pending the installer problems are ironed out.
>>

> Well, I have (not yet) installed the 3.7 beta sources but my guess is the
> hard coded EPSILON remains the same. Changing it would surely help
> for some scenes but meight also very well break others. I think it should
> not be hard coded but part of the global_settings block.

Yes, you are most probably right. I seem to remember that it was suggested
to Chris Cason at the time, but I cannot find that thread. I probably
dreamed it... :-)

Again, thanks for reminding me of the epsilon issue. I am going to note it
down seriously this time so that I shall have no excuses next time.  ;-)

Thomas