POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Painted desert WIP [~260 kB] : Re: Painted desert WIP [~260 kB] Server Time
1 Aug 2024 20:13:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Painted desert WIP [~260 kB]
From: Ive
Date: 6 Jul 2008 09:25:28
Message: <4870c7c8$1@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote in message

> There
>> was even a POV-Ray patch provided (By David Buck:
>> <4365fcf9$1@news.povray.org>) that corrected the epsilon value for those
>> scenes combining very distant and very near objects.

Interesting  - I did not follow the NG at this time.

The "epsilon-problem" appears not only in scenes with large/small scales
but also - as in your "paintes desert" scene (great idea BTW) - effects
the shadow ray calculation. And is of course not limited to poser figures
or meshes imported by PoseRay.

> Now, my next hunch is that epsilon has been changed for version 3.7, can
> anybody confirm this? I have not the beta installed at the moment, pending the
> installer problems are ironed out.

Well, I have (not yet) installed the 3.7 beta sources but my guess is the
hard coded EPSILON remains the same. Changing it would surely help
for some scenes but meight also very well break others. I think it should
not be hard coded but part of the global_settings block.

-Ive