POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The decline of mindpower : Re: The decline of mindpower Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:24:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The decline of mindpower
From: Warp
Date: 6 Jul 2008 03:04:18
Message: <48706e72@news.povray.org>
> Chambers wrote:
> > It's official: the Finnish are more intelligent than the Americans!
> > How can I move to Finland? :)

> I was thinking the same thing until Warp mentioned that the sign of the
> temperature in centigrade is how he decided whether to wear short
> sleeves or long sleeves. I don't think I could handle that. :-)

  There are other things which you should consider more seriously.
For instance, you might not need to fill tax forms ever, but OTOH you'll
be paying quite a lot *more* taxes than in the US.

  And do you even know how much gasoline/diesel costs here? An American
would drop his jaw into the ground if he saw it. Translated to the US
units, gasoline is about 9.5 dollars/gallon, and diesel is 8.3.

  Oh, and cars cost almost double what they cost, for example, in Germany
because of all the taxes. (In Germany, IIRC, a tax of 16% is put on the
price of sold cars, while in Finland it's something like 96%.)

  Not only that, you have to pay mandatory annual car insurance (good
thing, I suppose) as well as a mandatory annual car tax (you receive
nothing in return, it's a *pure* tax for simply *owning* a car, without
any benefits).

  Own a TV (or, for that matter, any device capable of decoding TV
signal)? Tax. Own a house? Tax. Own land? Tax. Inherit some money or
property from a relative? Tax. Win a car abroad and want to bring it
to Finland? You'll have to pay almost the original price of the car
in taxes.

  And if you think you'll get rid of the RIAA by moving to Finland, guess
again. (Ok, the situation might still not be *so* bad here, but it's
quickly going in that direction.)

  On the plus side, you'll usually get a fast broadband internet connection
for a quite moderate price here.

--
                                                          - Warp