POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The decline of mindpower : Re: The decline of mindpower Server Time
1 Oct 2024 18:29:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The decline of mindpower
From: Chambers
Date: 5 Jul 2008 17:16:03
Message: <486fe493$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I have noticed that many people have some kind of conscious, intentional
> mind block for anything involving math. If you try to explain or induce
> them to solve even the simplest of math problems, they immediately curl
> into their "happy world" which has a thick wall which has a sign which
> says "I'm not good at math" (which they usually also say out). It sometimes
> goes so far that it kind of feels like they were intentionally protecting
> themselves from learning even the simplest of math. Even if they were
> completely capable of easily learning the principles to solve the simple
> task, they *don't want* to do that. They completely reject the notion.
> It's like they had some kind of fear or phobia, and they like to hide
> behind their "I'm not good at math" defense. Any explanations or attempts
> at teaching will fall to deaf ears. Heaven forbid that they ever actually
> learn math!

My mother in law does this with *everything*.  No matter how smart she
really is (and, granted, she's not the brightest bulb in the package,
but she's not a *complete* idiot!), she hides behind the excuse "I can't
do that" and refuses to learn *anything*.

She drives me crazy (and not in a good way).

...Chambers