POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The decline of mindpower : Re: The decline of mindpower Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:20:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The decline of mindpower
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 5 Jul 2008 14:50:04
Message: <486fc25c$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 14:45:15 +0200, scott wrote:

>> That's nice.  We've been thinking about moving to the UK for a few
>> years now, but if we earn over a certain amount in the UK, we still
>> have to pay US taxes as well as UK taxes.
>
> That really is crazy.  How do they justify taxing you when you are not
> even living there?  Does that mean that anyone born in USA must
> (potentially) pay USA taxes for the rest of their life no matter in
> which country they live? What a hassle!

You know, I've been trying to figure that one out myself for a couple of
years now.  I think they don't tax you if you give up your citizenship,
but I don't know if that even would do the trick.  There's also some
weirdness in how the US Government treats dual citizenship, too, for
people born here who obtain citizenship in a different country.  I'll
have to find the details again (my wife would know, she's researched that
extensively).

Jim