POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The decline of mindpower : Re: The decline of mindpower Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:23:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The decline of mindpower
From: somebody
Date: 5 Jul 2008 11:50:57
Message: <486f9861$1@news.povray.org>
news:486f22d0$1@news.povray.org...

> It just annoys me when people claim that you have to have a brain
> disorder to be good at maths - and, by implication, if you're good at
> maths then you must have a brain disorder...

It does require a certain amount of dedication to be good at something, and
singleminded pursuit to excel. But I wouldn't call it a brain disorder.

> > Was she picked on for being good at math?

> Erm... As I recall, when we both went to the same school she wasn't all
> that exceptional at any particular subject. But then she moved to a
> different school and suddenly became a very bright public. (This school
> was popular _for a reason_.) Different culture at that school, so I
> don't think she got picked on.

There you go. Being good at math (or anything else) is not a sufficient
reason to be picked on. Certain personalities are picked on, true enough,
but correlation is not causation, and the correlation is weak to begin with.

If somebody comes in here, talking non-stop about how many pounds of iron he
has pumped that day, you, not to mention Warp, would probably pick on him,
not because he's good at weightlifting, but because of the personality he
displays. Now substitute "weightlifting" with "Haskell"...