POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The decline of mindpower : Re: The decline of mindpower Server Time
1 Oct 2024 11:27:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The decline of mindpower
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 4 Jul 2008 12:11:44
Message: <486e4bc0$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Btw, some schools and school books in the US are taking the other extreme:
> They are dumbing down basic math to the point where nobody learns anything
> useful.
>
>   For example, they don't teach the classical way of summing or multiplying
> two numbers on paper anymore *at all*. It's like it's completely censored.
>
>   Instead, they give a few heuristics on how to deduce the result of a few
> easy cases, and for the rest the rule is basically "if you can't deduce it,
> use a calculator".

	Do you have examples of this?

	I know months ago a youtube link was posted on this newsgroup about a
Seattle woman complaining about the way they teach math these days and
comparing what she had learned with what they're teaching now.

	If that's what you're talking about, I honestly can't say the "old
fashioned" way is "better". What she referred to as the new way of
teaching it weren't simply heuristics - they always work and unlike how
many of us were taught when we were young, actually force the students
to understand how multiplication and division actually work - rather
than just following an algorithm to compute the result.

	For me, the only real concerns were: 1) Can kids that age be reasonably
expected to understand *how* long division works? Some always will, but
what percentage? 2) Seems if they do it the "algorithmic" way, they'll
quickly be able to divide faster, whereas with the new way, being able
to divide faster may take a lot more practice.

	I didn't really understand her complaints. She seemed to just have this
opinion that the old ways were better. For me, it's best to teach both.

--
A Mexican newspaper reports that bored Royal Air Force pilots stationed
on the Falkland Islands have devised what they consider a marvelous new

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl