POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The decline of mindpower : Re: The decline of mindpower Server Time
1 Oct 2024 09:26:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The decline of mindpower
From: Invisible
Date: 4 Jul 2008 10:09:58
Message: <486e2f36$1@news.povray.org>
>>> Seriously though, you should consider picking up a couple at evening
>>> school, it will make any future job applications look much better.
>>
>> Right. Because holdong an honours degree really helped me in that
>> direction. Oh, wait...
>
> I'm sure it has actually, by having that honours degree you have opened
> up a whole new set of jobs that without the degree would have been
> impossible to get.
>
> I only say about the A-levels, because if someone applies here with a
> degree from a university that we are not faimiliar with, we'll likely
> look to see what A-level grades they got (well actually we'll look
> anyway, but it's less important).  While I'm sure you are capable of
> getting an A at maths, if it's not on paper then how are we going to
> know?  Also it's a bit unusual in this day and age to have a degree but
> no A levels.  Expect to be asked about that.
>
> While it might not help you actually get the job, it will definitely
> help you get interviews.

All I can say is that IME, as soon as you ask somebody about a job they
instantly say "how many years experience do you have?" If you say some
number less than 3, suddenly nobody wants to know you. I have no idea
what the hell is so special about 3, but what ever. Employers seem
completely uninterested in what qualifications you have, only how much
experience you have.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/