POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The decline of mindpower : Re: The decline of mindpower Server Time
1 Oct 2024 07:21:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The decline of mindpower
From: scott
Date: 4 Jul 2008 08:17:57
Message: <486e14f5$1@news.povray.org>
> Because I don't know what polynomial division actually "is" yet.

Opposite of polynomial multiplication.

(x^3+3x^2-4x)/(x^2-x) = ???

> I didn't say you don't need to know how to do long division - I said you
> don't need to spend 3 years practising it for several hours per day.

It makes things later in life, assuming you go on with studying maths, a lot
easier.  At university I used to cringe at the people who used their
calculators so often to do what they really should be doing in their head.
When you are tackling a large problem it is a huge advantage do be able to
do at least the basics very quickly in your head.

> Thanks for clarifying that. I was wondering myself!

Since I'm living in Germany I don't pay UK tax anymore, but I asked them to
repay me some bank interest tax (it was a relatively small amount, like

because I didn't return it by the deadline (even though the deadline had
passed by the time I got the form!!!).

long time and a lot of effort - not sure if that was a profitable use of my
time though!