POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The decline of mindpower : Re: The decline of mindpower Server Time
1 Oct 2024 05:21:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The decline of mindpower
From: Invisible
Date: 4 Jul 2008 07:02:43
Message: <486e0353$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:

> The funny thing is that many of these people are very good at doing
> math.

Math /= arithmetic. ;-)

*I* suck at arithmetic. It wasn't until I was about 17 that I discovered
that mathematics involves more than just those sheets of long division
problems.

(Seriously - why the hell does anybody in the modern era need to be
fluent at long division? Sure, you should know how it works. But being
able to finish 50 problems in an hour? That just seems pointless. Get a
computer!)

There are polynomial equations, derivatives and integrals, the binomial
theorum, statistical parameters and probability distributions,
trigonometric ratios, complex numbers and matrix algebra, and why are
those girls in the corner laughing at me? ._.

> and then she sits down
> to do the taxes, and just gets completely frustrated at all the numbers.
>
> I think it is some sort of a block.

No no - *everybody* gets confused as hell by taxes. ;-)

[Why do they make them so complicated? Is it a conspiracy to ensure you
get them wrong and hand over more money than you're supposed to??]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/