POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The decline of mindpower : Re: The decline of mindpower Server Time
30 Sep 2024 21:30:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The decline of mindpower
From: Warp
Date: 4 Jul 2008 06:35:36
Message: <486dfcf8@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> For some reason, we live in a culture where it is seen as "desirable" to
> not be cleaver.

  I don't find that very surprising. Just make a google image search
on "cleaver". Why would anyone want to be that?

  OTOH, while I wouldn't want to *be* that, I recognize that they can
be quite useful for certain things.

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7435023.stm

  I have noticed that many people have some kind of conscious, intentional
mind block for anything involving math. If you try to explain or induce
them to solve even the simplest of math problems, they immediately curl
into their "happy world" which has a thick wall which has a sign which
says "I'm not good at math" (which they usually also say out). It sometimes
goes so far that it kind of feels like they were intentionally protecting
themselves from learning even the simplest of math. Even if they were
completely capable of easily learning the principles to solve the simple
task, they *don't want* to do that. They completely reject the notion.
It's like they had some kind of fear or phobia, and they like to hide
behind their "I'm not good at math" defense. Any explanations or attempts
at teaching will fall to deaf ears. Heaven forbid that they ever actually
learn math!

--
                                                          - Warp