POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Caldera : Re: Caldera Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:27:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Caldera
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 3 Jul 2008 08:59:55
Message: <486ccd4b@news.povray.org>
"Jim Holsenback" <jho### [at] hotmailcom> schreef in bericht

> ah yes ..... no matter how I tried to position the 3 overlapping height
> fields I was unable to get the lake to be as round as I wanted.

Hmm... What you could maybe try in WorldMachine is to add another hf
consisting of a grey-scale image showing a circular gradient or something
like that, which would level out the other hf's to a more circular shape.

> I was struggling with the depth and size cues of the caldera itself until
> (by accident) I made a typo on the y axis position of the cloud bank.
> Positioning it just below the height of the adjacent peak sold that idea.

Yes, that was an excellent typo :-)

> As for the vegetation I had two types a cacti one a wings object the other
> an iso_surface and scaling was an issue ..... they ended up so small that
> they became moot. I toyed with the idea of having a couple of cacti close
> to the camera but that didn't pan out ..... objects are easy, scenes are a
> bit more of a challenge. I have no artist training whatsoever  so
> sometimes I struggle with the most basic concepts. I didn't "get" the
> depth cue idea until you commented on one of my scenes awhile ago ..... so
> thanks for the feedback

You are welcome. I know what you mean, scene building is an interesting
learning zone that has to be struggled through each and every time.
Solutions are not always obvious.
I am not sure, but maybe if the forefront rocks were a bit smaller, cacti
would be easier to place there, and as a consequence would enable some depth
effect towards the background.

Thomas