POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : StarGate : Re: StarGate Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:27:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: StarGate
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 22 Jun 2008 20:20:28
Message: <485eec4c$1@news.povray.org>
> Just to inflict interest, here a poor man's attempt:
> Needs so much work. Like building a model, argh. Crude bumped disk so far.

I've watched the show enough to know the stargate consists of 6 parts,
The outer ring, the inner ring, the chevrons, the top lights, the side
lights,
and the water fountain effect in the middle.

The outer ring is just a cylinder ring with some gear-like crenellations
around the inside lip. It's mostly textured with a stone-like normal,
and a smooth spot where the locks might engage.

The inner ring has all the interesting glyphs (39?), I think you could
save those out as heightfield images, it's probably most of the detail
of the stargate. There's some ribs between the glyphs, more
crenellation on a lip, and a tapered inner edge.

The chevrons are the same shape all the way around the ring,
they're T shaped, following the same curve as the disk, the
V shaped part has grating for lights (there is an inner solid
lip unlike the model you linked to, and I think there's more than
six slots for light). The chevrons move in and out to lock the
gate in position.

The top lights are brighter, along with it's 4 chevron lights,
which shine thru the chevron grates. The light frame is
mostly translucent, and doesn't move.

The side lights are dimmer, I think they might only have
2 side lights shining through the chevron grates as well.
The bottom lights are the same as the side lights,
you just never see them usually, in Stargate: Atlantis you
see them in space sometimes.

The center effect probably could be done with something
like Rune's particle system.
http://runevision.com/3d/include/particles/