POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Drifting Over The Traps [wip ~190 kB] : Re: Drifting Over The Traps [wip ~190 kB] Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:33:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Drifting Over The Traps [wip ~190 kB]
From: stbenge
Date: 21 Jun 2008 19:26:04
Message: <485d8e0c$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> Totally by chance, while working further with John VanSickle's height_field
> patchwork macro, I came across this landscape. I called it Drifting Over The
> Traps.
>
> For those who wonder what Traps are: this refers to the Large Igneous
> Provinces, of which the Siberian Traps at the Permian-Triassic boundary, and
> The Deccan Traps at the Cretaceous-Tertiary boundary are the most famous for
> alledgedly being responsible for major global biological extinction events.
>
> I shall probably work further on this, but I thought I would already share
> this image with you.

Hey Thomas,

Interesting landscape. I bet 'The Traps' have some great potential for
good mineral hunting. That's assuming they harbor pegmatite dikes. If
the composition is mainly basaltic, then there's a good chance of
finding some zeolites. I've always wanted to find some apophyllite,
which is found with zeolitic minerals.

I haven't forgotten about the weathered rocks tutorial I've been
promising for months. I'm just not sure how to start new pages on the
POV Wiki yet...

Sam