POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : nebula (72k jpeg) : Re: nebula (72k jpeg) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:18:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: nebula (72k jpeg)
From: stbenge
Date: 17 Jun 2008 17:20:02
Message: <48582a82$1@news.povray.org>
Roman Reiner wrote:
> Impressive!

Thanks!

> Care to elaborate on how you did the 3rd step? media? procedurals? code? :)
> Regards Roman

The "film grain" is just a semi-transparent plane with a crackle solid
pigment applied to it. In hindsight, I think I should have used another
pigment so the colors could be more evenly distributed.

#declare noise = 0.175;

plane{z,-1
  pigment{
   crackle solid
   scale .001
   color_map{
    [0 rgb 0 transmit 1-noise]
    [1/6 rgb y transmit 1-noise]
    [2/6 rgb 0 transmit 1-noise]
    [3/6 rgb x transmit 1-noise]
    [4/6 rgb 0 transmit 1-noise]
    [5/6 rgb z transmit 1-noise]
   }
  }
}

It is placed over another plane containing an image of the previous
render. The last render used interpolate 2 in the image_map to smooth
the grains.

Sam