POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Mesh Relief Macro Landscapes : Re: Mesh Relief Macro Landscapes Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:30:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh Relief Macro Landscapes
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 17 Jun 2008 10:37:50
Message: <4857cc3e@news.povray.org>
"Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> schreef in bericht

> Those macros were more complete, and would successfully convert any
> isosurface.
> My macros will only work properly if the centre-point and inner shape
> combination can 'see' the entire outer surface. However, for my purposes
> (as
> mentioned previously, boulders, bricks and other simple building shapes),
> think this technique does produce better meshes more quickly.

Yes, I shall have to revisit the Tor Olav Kristensen version of those macros
and apply them again to these same isosurfaces to see if this time, I can do
better, and if the results are "better" than with your macros.  :-)

> It's interesting to see the macros applied in this way - I never intended
> them
> to be used for complete landscapes. I think better results would be
> obtained
> for outcrops, boulders or other discrete objects that can be automatically
> placed, as a supplement to heightfields or regular isosurfaces.

Well, you know how it goes! People always want to apply things to other
features, just to see if they work. :-)   I agree with you however that it
would probably be better to stay within the given boundaries... but
experimenting is too tempting.

> Encouraging though!

It really is, and so possibilities are increased.

Thomas