POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Mesh Relief Macro Landscapes : Re: Mesh Relief Macro Landscapes Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:28:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh Relief Macro Landscapes
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 17 Jun 2008 05:28:16
Message: <485783b0@news.povray.org>
I corrected the faulty transformation from isosurface to mesh in the
hardground (case of a an inner shape sticking out of the isosurface,
misleading the MeshShape() macro).

As all normals were facing inwards, I processed the meshes in Poseray.
Through this, the mesh sizes went also from about 38 Mb to some 80 Mb each.

This image (using radiosity) rendered in 12 minutes, while the isosurfaces
would have taken several hours.

A problem remaining are the dark triangles visible in the cliff face. As far
as I have been able to judge, the normals are all oriented in the same,
outward direction and double_illuminate is used. I think this has been
discussed in the past, but I cannot remember when or where. Any suggestion?

In any case, this exercise shows how attractive Bill Pragnell's macros are
for speeding up render time by transforming isosurfaces into meshes. Also,
as far as I can judge presently, the meshes seem to simulate the isosurfaces
better than the Jaap Frank c.s. macros, but I may be wrong there. I remember
however, that a couple of years ago, I was not able to obtain as much
detail.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome of course.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'IsosurfaceTest2-2.jpg' (82 KB)

Preview of image 'IsosurfaceTest2-2.jpg'
IsosurfaceTest2-2.jpg