POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : PointArrays version 1.1.0 : PointArrays version 1.1.0 Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:29:35 EDT (-0400)
  PointArrays version 1.1.0
From: Blue Herring
Date: 16 Jun 2008 16:54:57
Message: <4856d321@news.povray.org>
Hello again,
   All the encouragement has motivated me to add in a few more things
that I had on the drawing board, all involving bezier curves.  I
definitely now have some good guesses as to why these things aren't
supported across the board internally in POV-Ray.

Updated:
- Efficiency improvements for PA_Bezier_Sweep.  Most notably it will now
use a single cone for straight segments.

New things:
- New macro to convert a bezier spline to a linear one: PA_Bezier_To_Linear.
- New macros to convert a linear spline to a bezier, optionally rounding
off the corners: PA_Linear_To_Bezier, PA_Linear_To_Bezier_Circ, and
PA_Linear_To_Bezier2.
- New macro to calculate the length of a bezier spline: PA_Bezier_Length.
- New macros to simulate a spline object for bezier splines:
PA_Bezier_Spline, PA_Bezier_Spline_Auto, PA_Bezier_Spline_Uniform,
PA_Bezier_Spline_Dist.  The latter two provide evenly spaced points
along the path.

The spline macros in particular are brand new, so I'd appreciate anyone
letting me know if they run into any holes in them.  Any ideas for
making PA_Bezier_Spline less clunky from a user interface perspective
would also be quite welcome.

For anyone who's interested, the updated package is in the object
collection:
http://lib.povray.org/searchcollection/index2.php?objectName=PointArrays&version=1.1.0&contributorTag=Blue%20Herring

This image is a demo of the various capabilities of the linear to bezier
   macros.

--
-The Mildly Infamous Blue Herring

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'pa_linear_to_bezier_demo.png' (60 KB)

Preview of image 'pa_linear_to_bezier_demo.png'
pa_linear_to_bezier_demo.png