POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Why don't you go home (final) [~210 kB] : Re: Why don't you go home (final) [~210 kB] Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:26:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why don't you go home (final) [~210 kB]
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 12 Jun 2008 03:54:49
Message: <4850d649$1@news.povray.org>
"Mike the Elder" <nomail@nomail> schreef in bericht
news:web.484febb4f97e4e85a8888d90@news.povray.org...

> Truly splendid! Not to be dismissive of the scene's technical merits,
> which are
> also noteworthy, I would like to take a few moments to praise the
> aesthetic,
> compositional and story-telling aspects of the image, which IMHO, set it
> apart
> from and above a number of other images which are also technically
> impressive.
>
> I don't know whether you've had formal education in composition or were
> simply
> born with "the gift", but it is *SO* nice to see the potential of ray
> tracing
> realized in images wherein the various "objects" are arranged and detailed
> set a mood and tell a story.  I would never name names or criticize an
> individual image that someone has worked hard on in this manner, BUT -
> I've
> lost track of the number of times I have had a bifurcated reaction to an
> image:
> Technically, "Wow!" - and to everything else, "Why?" Images like this one
> really
> help to demonstrate that POV-Ray provides a means for real creative
> expression,
> not merely simulating various optical conditions. Bravo!

Oh...Hum... You truly make me blush, Mike. Thank you very much indeed for
your kind analysis.

I have no formal education in composition. There must be a bit of "gift", as
professional artists seem to be over-represented in my family. However, I
have learned and been taught from an early age to observe minutely the world
and the people around me, and that, combined with a fair dosis of
imagination, forms the solid basis on which I work. I read and scrutinize
widely the works of artists, whatever their medium or style and try to find
what makes those works "tick".

I must say that I am a very average drawer and a much worse painter (I have
tried those and I have happily destroyed most of my disapointing dabblings),
and I think I am a fairly good photographer, but I have finally found in
POV-Ray the perfect medium for expressing almost literally the images that
form in my mind. I consider myself more as an illustrator than as a genuine
"conceptual" artist however, the "story" almost always taking the lead.

I am very glad you like my work and it encourages me in pursuing my quest in
the direction I feel is right (at least for me). Like so many others who
have stimulated me by their often outstanding work - not only technically
but also in compositing and telling a story - I hope to contribute a little
bit in my own way to stimulate others.

Regards,

Thomas