POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Iterative Imaging and IFS : Re: Iterative Imaging and IFS Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:26:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Iterative Imaging and IFS
From: stbenge
Date: 10 Jun 2008 01:32:01
Message: <484e11d1@news.povray.org>
Dave Matthews wrote:
> Last February, Sam Benge introduced a very cool technique and some great images,
> created by iterative mapping of images onto discs:
>
> Since rendering this, I thought of a way to eliminate the "cut-off" where the
> fractal goes off the edge of the box.  I now use planes, and just shrink and
> map the pigments on the planes.  Also, when the fractal overlaps itself, you
> need to choose which plane goes on top -- this leads to slightly different
> images, even though the actual attractors are the same.

Cool image.

I'm not sure I understand your exact method, but I'm sure it helps. Why
is the POV-Ray render hard-edged, while the Apophysis image looks soft?
You could probably get a smoother result by fiddling with the pigment.

It would be nice to generate these images in POV without also generating
a long sequence of animation frames. If there was a way to rename the
output image in POV without using an external application to do so, I
would be pretty happy about it :) Maybe I'll raise a question in p.a-u.
I was actually thinking of this earlier, but found no solution in the
documentation. I found no working solution short of calling an external
program to rename the file, anyway. I don't know how to make C++ rename
a file, so I'm sort of stuck.

Sam