POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Media discrepancy (artifact?) : Re: Media discrepancy (artifact?) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:23:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media discrepancy (artifact?)
From: Alain
Date: 4 Jun 2008 20:00:52
Message: <48472cb4$1@news.povray.org>
Bruno Cabasson nous illumina en ce 2008-06-03 09:50 -->
> Hi there!
>
> Still working on atmospheres and cloudscapes for TerraPOV, I discoverd recently
> something that puzzles me unexpectedly. Two media-filled objects that I was
> expecting to render the same do not. Run the following fragment of code. You
> can notice that the spheres on the right (UnionedSpheres) are significantly
> brighter than those on the left (DistinctSpheres).
>
> In UnionedSpheres, there is a single interior with two spherical-shaped medias.
> In DistinctSpheres, each sphere has its own interior media.
>
> I had in mind that the two definitions were equivalent.
>
> I cannot figure out where the problem is. Could it be related to the container
> artifact?
>

>     Bruno

Even with the density of the bottom sphere set to zero, the blue media still
looks dencer.
The two media are supposed to add together, but a value of zero in one media
should leave the other media unchanged.

Not related to your problem.
This line cause your rendering speed to drop significantly:

>             intervals 3 samples 3 method 3
This rewriten line give you more samples AND is faster:
samples 12

You don't need to specify method 3, it's the default.
With this method, you should always use only one intervals (the new default) and
increase the number of samples as needed, and never set it to less than 3.

--
Alain
deserve neither liberty nor safety.