POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Yet another RSOCP : Re: Yet another RSOCP Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:28:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another RSOCP
From: Alain
Date: 22 May 2008 11:30:29
Message: <48359195@news.povray.org>
Cousin Ricky nous illumina en ce 2008-05-21 23:19 -->
> Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>> You realy need to add "adaptive" to your area_light. It will greatly improve
>> your rendering time.
>> Start with adaptive 0, and increase it if you get artefacts.
>> With adaptive 0, it's beter to use some specific array samples: 5x5, 9x9, 17x17,
>> 33x33, 65x65,... this due to the way the adaptive sampling is conducted. If you
>> use a treshold larger than adaptive 0, start with the next value in the list.
>
> Let's see... (Double-checking "lamp.inc"...)
>
> I'm using 5x5 with circular orient adaptive 1.
>

>> Very nice twist on an old cliché.
>
> Thank you.

5x5 with adaptive 1 give you almost no gain over non-adaptive. It start at 3x3
and occasionaly samples in between. You can go much higher.
In your case, adaptive 0 will very probably give good results. The area_light is
relatively small compared to the light-object distance. The object receiving the
shadow is close to the one casting it. The parts of the shadow that could cause
problems are not visible.

Using 9x9 and adaptive 0 will be faster.

--
Alain
A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their