POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Translucency 3 : Re: Translucency 3 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:26:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Translucency 3
From: Blue Herring
Date: 21 May 2008 13:36:49
Message: <48345db1$1@news.povray.org>
Alain wrote:
>> pretrace_start 0.32
> Changing the pretrace_start usualy have little to no effect. Keep the
> default of 0.08.
> Changing by some small value may, in some cases, get rid of some
> artefacts near corners.

I had some vague notion that it helped with sample distribution, but it
was likely my imagination.

>> pretrace_end   0.02
> Default value.
> Try reducint this to 0.01, 0.005 or 0.0025
>> count 400
> Maybe a larger value here? Try 600 or 800.
>> nearest_count 5
> That's the default value.
> You can go up to 20. Low effect on render time, can greatly improve end
> result.

Gotcha.  I was shooting for more defined shadows than I got, so I didn't
really want to average them out too much.

>> error_bound 1
>> recursion_limit 3
> Default value.
>> low_error_factor 0.5
> Meybe try a somewhat smaller value. Will take more time on the final
> pretrace step.
>> gray_threshold 0
> Default value.
>> minimum_reuse 0.015
> Default value.
> You may need a value larger OR smaler. Don't go over 0.02. Don't go to
> small, as smaller values will increase the render time.

Gotcha.

>> brightness 1
> Default value.
>> adc_bailout 0.01/0.4
> That's 0.025, probably to large. Try adc_bailout 0.01/3 or 0.01/4.

Thanks, I'll bet this isn't helping.  It didn't seem right, but I didn't
really know where to go with it.

>> normal off
> Default value.
>> media off
> Default value.
>>
> Every time you use a default value, you can skip that option.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.  I usually put all the options
in there deliberately, even though its often redundant.  My memory of
the defaults is fuzzy, so I like to be sure I know exactly the value I'm
using.  I also like to see all the values, for me it makes it easier to
tweak them around.  Lastly, I think some part of my personality
distrusts default values =)