POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Yet another RSOCP : Re: Yet another RSOCP Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:28:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another RSOCP
From: Alain
Date: 19 May 2008 15:33:18
Message: <4831d5fe$1@news.povray.org>
Cousin Ricky nous illumina en ce 2008-05-18 12:27 -->
> The blue and gold are my high school alma mater's colors.  Sorry, no kitchen
> probe.
>
> Lessons learned:
>
> - Higher order polynomials are very sensitive to floating point error.  Use
>   isosurfaces instead.
>
> - Isosurfaces are slow.  Use higher order polynomials instead.
>
> - Counterintuitively, applying split_union off to the entire object slowed
>   down rendering by an order of magnitude.
>
> - Applying split_union off to Round_Box_Union and Round_Cylinder_Union (and
>   to similar custom-written macros) cut rendering times in half.
>
> - Area_light can be interminable.  This image was first rendered without
>   area lights.  The shadows of the handle and reflective sphere were done
>   in partial renders, then patched into the main image.
You realy need to add "adaptive" to your area_light. It will greatly improve
your rendering time.
Start with adaptive 0, and increase it if you get artefacts.
With adaptive 0, it's beter to use some specific array samples: 5x5, 9x9, 17x17,
33x33, 65x65,... this due to the way the adaptive sampling is conducted. If you
use a treshold larger than adaptive 0, start with the next value in the list.

Very nice twist on an old cliché.

--
Alain
Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?