POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Interlocking heightfields : Re: Interlocking heightfields Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:25:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interlocking heightfields
From: John VanSickle
Date: 19 May 2008 07:38:27
Message: <483166b3$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> In povray.general, Stephen asked for a method to make a seamless patchwork
> of height_fields (topic: Interlocking heightfields; May 11th). John
> VanSickle was so kind to provide a couple of interesting macros. While
> learning to use them, I made this simple test image consisting of 16
> heightfields. I thought I could post it here, as info.

When I used these macros, I gave the height fields a high enough
resolution so that there was no need for any tricks with the normals.
There was no smoothing, and the texture applied to the height fields had
no normal component.  To make the height fields rougher, I put more
roughness in the pigment used to generate the height fields, so that the
height fields really were rougher, instead of merely appearing to be.

Regards,
John