POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : hex pattern include file released today (136k jpg) : hex pattern include file released today (136k jpg) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:28:26 EDT (-0400)
  hex pattern include file released today (136k jpg)
From: stbenge
Date: 9 May 2008 12:40:00
Message: <48247e60@news.povray.org>
Hi everyone,

I just posted a zip containing the include file in a message entitled
"hexagonal patterns" over at p.b.scene-files.

Attached is an image showing the 11 basic patterns contained within that
file. All patterns are pigment_pattern macros, and can be used in any
material block. They are all gray-scale by default.

1) is a shortcut to "f_hex_h" in in functions.inc. I adjusted its
properties so that the edges start at full black, and the center ends at
full white (thanks to that handy float in the docs).

2) is like 1), but modified to exist in groups of three

3) is composed of randomly-colored hexagons

4) uses "hexagon" and 3) to place and optionally rotate a pigment in
each hexagon

5) is like 4), but in groups of three, and without random rotation

6) is like a triangular version of "hexagon"

7) is like 6), but rotated 30 degrees and slightly larger

8) uses 4) and a spiral1 pattern to for a curved tessellation

9) takes a pigment and makes a kaleidoscope out of it

10) is a reference grid for using the ht(x,y) and ht2(x,y) macros

11) is like 3), but with triangles :)

And the last bit is a sphere_sweep demonstrating the use of the ht2(x,y)
macro for placing points in trigonal space. Both the ht(x,y) and
ht2(x,y) macros line up with the skewed grid represented in 10.

Note that numbers 4, 5, and 9 will take a custom pigment pattern. It's
not so hard to make, say, a compound bug eye with number 4, using a
cylindrical or spherical pigment as a base.

Full instructions and example files are included in the zip. I'll
monitor both groups in case anyone has questions. Happy rendering!

Sam

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'hexpattern_test4_19.jpg' (135 KB)

Preview of image 'hexpattern_test4_19.jpg'
hexpattern_test4_19.jpg