POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : caged ball statue : Re: caged ball statue Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:26:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: caged ball statue
From: Jan Dvorak
Date: 8 May 2008 23:05:19
Message: <4823bf6f$1@news.povray.org>
Robert McGregor napsal(a):
> Jan Dvorak <jan### [at] centrumcz> wrote:
>> a wings3d product
>
> Very cool JD, but how did you get those intertwined like that? Are they
> flattened tori, or a continous knot, or something else? I've been pondering
> doing some weaving like that so any wings3d tips for this technique are greatly
> appreciated :)
>
> Thanks,
> Rob
>

> "There is no spoon."

Hello,
I have done it this way:
-start with an icosahedron to obtain the required symmetry
-extrude the edges (you'll need to split them in thirds first)
   you'll get 30 flat spikes
-cap off their top (split 10>connect>select all but one loop>dissolve
R>select top vertices>)
-extrude thrice
-remove the supporting icosahedron
-remove the middle block (be inventive about the 'select similar' tool)
   you should get 60 hexagonal blocks
-scale the 30x16 short edges 0% and let optimize
-join the resulting rectangles by bridges (manually)
-SSEE*

*save, subdivide, export, exit
--
You know you've been raytracing too long when...
you start thinking up your own "You know you've been raytracing too long