POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : caged ball statue : Re: caged ball statue Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:27:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: caged ball statue
From: Jan Dvorak
Date: 8 May 2008 15:46:47
Message: <482358a7$1@news.povray.org>
triple_r napsal(a):
> Jan Dvorak <jan### [at] centrumcz> wrote:
>
>> it is. But even though, I have to do something manually.
>> Sometimes the select similar selects more than I want so I have to be
>> inventive in these cases.
>> And one thing I've discovered that edge>scale uniform>0% is more useful
>> than vertices>weld.
>> I also miss "select by material".
>> By the way, can you guess the illumination settings?
>
> Ah, yes.  The lack of color.  The noise.  That looks familiar.  I did finally
> figure out though that with reflection{rgb <*,*,*>}, you can change the color
> of the object.  Glad someone tried it out, but at the same time it's such a
> shameful patch next to what fidos has done that I hope it only gets people
> interested enough to do it right...
>
>  - Ricky

I really wish you were right but sadly not. The truth is much more boring:
global_settings{
     radiosity{
       count pow(2,6)
       randomize on
       nearest_count 1
       error_bound {0.01 adaptive}
       low_error_factor 0.5
       pretrace_start 1/image_width
       pretrace_end 1/image_width
       adaptive 2
       always_sample off
     }
   tone_mapping{function{atan(x)}}
}

in the uffizi enviroment.
The colorlessness id due to a BW probe and the lack of any pigmenting.
I'll post another version (color, no tonemapping) soon.
The pretrace took around 30 minutes with another hour or so of the final
trace (+a0.01 +am2 takes its time :-))
--
You know you've been raytracing too long when...
you start thinking up your own "You know you've been raytracing too long